Tuesday, February 9, 2010

being CRAZY catches up with you...

and Brandon is CRAZY- as was described in pictures on THIS post with all the jumping onto his head and stuff. 
Now we have us a broken baby.
Here's the story- so it can be remembered for always... as the day I let my baby break.  It's long.

We took Hali to her dance class.  All of us, Dad, Mom and all the kiddos.  Mom says "Let's go to the park until Hali is done!"  So we did.
Brandon is a crazy, we've already established that.  He had no interest OTHER than climbing UP the slide the wrong way and then sliding down on his tummy.  We tried to get him interested in other things, but as soon as we got sidetracked with another kid, he was back at the slide.  
Only Dominic saw what happened, so that is where we are getting our information :).
So, according to the 7 year old, Brandon did his usual climb up the slide and slide down, but it was a little sideways this time.  He made it to the bottom but fell off the end head first and caught himself with his left arm.
Resulting in one broken bone and one fractured bone in his left forearm.  It is still crazy to me that such a short distance could cause this, but he is just a tiny thing.  The distance is much bigger to his little body.

Even better, we didn't even know what was wrong until we got home about an hour later.  He was crying a lot, but not all the time.  He had a huge coat on, so it wasn't until we took it off that we realized something was wrong with his arm.  We just thought he was really tired.  I noticed he wasn't moving his arm and there was a big bump on it.

I got to spend 3 amazing hours at the ER with Brandon.  It was full of lots of crying, waiting, guilt, crying, waiting, more crying, more guilt.  That was both of us crying.  Just me with the guilt.
They tried to get an IV in his good arm- TWICE.  Didn't get either one.  They were going to put him under to straighten the arm.  That's what the IV was for.  After they did NOT get it in, they came in and said the Orthopedist decided not to straighten it.  SO glad they caused my baby additional pain for nothing.

As soon as they got the temporary cast on, it was like he was ALL better.  He slid down off my lap and tried to escape the hospital.  He was done with people touching his owies.
The doctor said to put a big sock over the temp cast so he doesn't take off the bandages.  It looks like he has a giant man foot instead of an arm.
Brandon was SO happy to be home.  He did get really mad when he couldn't figure out how to hold his package of fruit snacks and eat them at the same time.
I did appreciate how nice the doctors, nurses, radiologist etc., were.  They were all men and they all reassured me OVER and OVER that this happens ALL the time.  I just think they wanted me to stop crying.
Here he is sportin' the fancy pants sling I fashioned for him :).  That cast weighs a ton!  He will get an actual cast next week which he will wear for 4-5 weeks.
He's doing pretty well today... except he has fallen down a few times while holding something in his good hand.  
Hello, faceplant.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor daredevil boy. What an ordeal! I think you are very brave to have gone to the hospital with him, I will always send Jordan with that kind of thing, exhibit A: that time I gave Tillie nursemaids elbow. At least the broken arm wasn't your fault:) And I must say you wrote about it in a very entertaining way, does that help at all? I can't see how it wouldn't.
We love you guys and hope the whole cast thing goes well, good luck!

Kristina P. said...

Oh no! Poor guy! He reminds me a lot of my nephew. He's adorable.

Unknown said...

I feel so bad. So sad for baby Brandon.

When Savannah fractured her elbow, I thought she was just bein' a sissy...so I waited for like 6 hours to take her to the ER. Um, I am just that nice.

I hope he is feelin' better. Do you need something?

hollyw said...

Sweet boy! That is so sad! Don't be too hard on yourself it happens to the best of us!

Allred Family said...

Poor little Brandon, Hope you and him are doing better....let me know if you need anything!!!!

Joo Lin said...

Cute boy, that Brandon! So sad about the arm. I sure hope I don't have to experience broken baby parts... (is that too much to wish for??)