Our first New Year's Eve in Utah was 2 years ago. We had 4 kids and I was about 2 or 3 months pregnant with Brandon. We had been in Utah for a little over a month. It was just Mark and I, after our kids went to bed. It was a slow evening- I didn't even make it until midnight. Mark had to wake me up a few minutes before the ball dropped.
It was a little lame. I grew up with my parents having a big family/friend New Year's party at my house every year. My expectations are a little too high, I think :).
Mark and I decided that night that the next time we were in Utah on December 31st we would have SOMEBODY over on New Year's... to play games with, eat with... whatever :).
It worked! We got some takers from the Erickson family. It wasn't huge, which is JUST fine, but we had tons of food....

family and friends
(this is Mark's friend Travis & his family. Mark & Travis have been friends since Mark was WAY young).

Lots of good visiting. Mark's Dad & bro Matt.
and some e-mail checking...
and some e-mail checking... Mark's sister Nicki, her husband Paul and daughter Lucy. they also have 3 boys, but they were downstairs most of the night.


Yay for more people to play games with!
That is Mark's brother Matt on the left. He's single and looking, if anyone knows of anybody! Just let me know :)
I told my kids they could stay up as LATE as they wanted. Turns out they didn't want to stay up very late. Here's Sage at about 8:30...
Desperately ready for bed.Bryn was OUT on my bed by 8:00.
Dominic went downstairs as soon as the boy cousins got there. I never saw him again. Someone told me he was asleep on the beanbag. That was at 9 pm.Hali was our super trooper! She made it until 11 pm! I am almost positive that she hasn't been up until 11 since she was an infant. Look how happy...
It was awesome to have other people to celebrate with! Otherwise, Mark may have been alone with a snoring me.
Mark gave us a great toast at midnight! Here's to an fabulous-awesome-fantastic 2010!





5 comments:
Thanks for sharing, because hubby and I have been talking about making our new years a bit more festive. It made me wonder, "do all parents of young children just celebrate together...alone??". I would like to do something like your family next year....did any family or friends stay the night, or did they basically make their way home after the midnight?
Looks like so much fun. Our New Year's was REALLY lame. Next year will be even worse...I can imagine! LOL.
What fun! I actually invited a friend and family over to our place this year for games and snacks and it was such a total revelation 'hello, you can't go anywhere, invite someone over!'
I'm glad it occurred to me, these things usually don't until it's too late. Perhaps next year we will be together on New Years and we'll party up Vladnik style.
Here's hoping.
The friends with a baby went home- but they only live 10-15 minutes away. Mark's dad also went home before midnight. Everyone else stayed the night :).
My Cousin and her family do a party on New Years day every year, so staying the night was important to those who came because it saved a lot of driving time. It was fun, I think we will make it a tradition every other year (when we are not in Oregon for the new year).
Post a Comment